Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tutorial: How to Make a Mattress

For This Project You Will Need:

a measuring tape
cloth, of your choosing
a fabric marker, or something similar
foam padding, of your choosing
scissors
a needle and thread or a sewing machine
optional- cording
 
 

Making a Mattress For a Doll Bed

Figure Out Your Materials

The first step in this project is to take the measurements of the top of your bed, where the mattress will be (length and width). For this project I'm using the Springfield Collection bed, which measures 18 x 11 inches, however I'm going to make my mattress 16x 10 1/2 inches.  Once you have this measurement you need to calculate how much fabric you need- keep in mind that you'll probably need to add around 2 inches or so, to account for the thickness of your foam padding. For this mattress I just had a yard of 'country quilting' fabric cut out for me at my local Walmart ($5.97). I really only need 36 1/2 inches for one mattress, but I'm making another as well.
 
The foam padding I've chosen, 'Morning Glory Foam Seat Cushions' comes in a set of 4, measuring 16 x 16 x1 inch per pad ($6.97). I'm using one for this mattress, maybe two for the other.
 
Next is the optional cording- I'm using it to pipe around the top and bottom of my mattress. If you decide to do this step you will need 4 times the length and 4 times the width of your mattress. So, for this bed I need 106 inches, a little under three yards ($2.01).
 
Remember, these are just the choices I've made. Fabric ranges greatly in price, so if you want to go lower or higher, go crazy!
 
Once you've gathered all your supplies, it's time to go home and start your project.
 

Making The Mattress

 
Your first step is to measure out how big you want your mattress to be and to mark the foam accordingly. Once you're sure that you've got it right, go ahead and cut it out. You should rest it on top of the bed to make sure that it fits, and if it's too big trim it up.

After you have the foam pads cut out the next thing to do is to cut out the mattress covering. You should measure out a pattern that should look sort of like the one above. Everything is in one piece, that way you only need to do a small amount of sewing. Note that the pattern above is not to scale, it's a quick sketch just to give you an idea. Your cutout mattress cover should be one long piece, with a tab on either side. Make sure to give yourself a little seam allowence, especially if you are using a sewing machine, and mark out your pattern on the bad side of the cloth (the side that is going to be hidden from view)!
 
 
This is what your cut out piece should look like. I used a pink sharpie, just because it's light enough to not be seen when this is turned the right way out.

Now that you have cut this piece out it's time to start sewing. I'm hand stitching mine, because my sewing machine is on the fritz again- the top thread keeps catching on the bobbin below and snapping.

 
The corners that are circled in grey are the ones you should be sewing together. Fold them over and pinch them together so that their edges meet and stitch them firmly. I run a line of regular stitches and then whip stitch, but that's just a personal preference. Remember, you should be looking at the part of the fabric that you intend to have inside the mattress while you are sewing.
 
 
Once you get all of the corners stitched together you'll have a puckery rectangle, with  the edges all sewn together. What you want to do now is to fold the bottom over, match it up with the sides, and sew them together as seen in the diagram and picture above.
 
 
At this point you should have a rectangle with your good cloth in the middle, and a tab of cloth where the rectangle is open. Turn the mattress inside out, so that your stichwork, and the marked up side of your fabric, is inside the rectangle where it belongs.
 
 
Then put your foam pad through the opening and adjust it so that it fits comfortably. You're going to be shutting the mattress casing in the next step, so make sure that everything fits the way you want it. The last thing you want is a lopsided mattress.
 
 
 
 
 Now its time to close up the mattress. Fold the rough edge of your cloth inwards and pinch it closed, for about three or four inches, the run a line of stitches along it. Do this until the entire length is sewn up, making sure to pinch the edges in to give your mattress a snug and clean finish.
And finished! This is what your mattress should look like once you are done. Now all you need are sheets and a bed frame to put it on.
 
 

Bonus: Adding Chording

I decided to add cording around the seams of the mattress I made. It hides any wayward stitches, makes the mattress more realistic, and will provide a bit of traction for when I finally make the fitted sheet to go on top of it. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures while actually sewing the cording on....but that's okay!
 
The trimming cord I chose is twisted tight together, but a cut edge will see it unravel rather quickly. What you'll want to do is wrap the ends in thread, tying it tight so that the cord cannot come undone. Run a few stitches through it to, just to be on the safe side. Once your cord is secured from fraying, you'll want to sew it onto your mattress.
 
Starting at one of the corners you will want to stitch the cord along the mattress, keeping it taunt against the seamline. I used a whipstich around the cord, occasionally pushing the needle through it to better teather it into the mattress. Once you've made your way back to the corner you've started in you should secure the end again before you cut it and start on the next line of chording.
 
This is what a finished mattress, with cording, looks like. It's much nicer looking than the plain mattress, in my own honest opinion.

And...Finished!

Finished mattress on bed frame
 
 
 

Good Luck!

 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. The biggest is the bed needs to be firm. This is true, but only if you are talking about springs, and only if you know the definition of firm. top rated memory foam mattres

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for providing recent updates regarding the concern, I look forward to read more black friday mattress deals

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your blog and i will be back to check it more in the future so please keep up your work. michael kors outleti love your content & the way that you write.
    plant based memory foam mattress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Consumer Reports reveals top mattress picks​

    ReplyDelete
  5. “What do all the technical terms mean?” It’s not rocket science but bed manufacturers’ terminology can get very confusing. There are really only 3 variables gel foam mattress reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.
    memory foam chemicals

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated.
    adjustable memory foam bed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.
    2015 online black friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for such kinda informative post and your post looks very interesting for me.
    BEDSINABAG

    ReplyDelete